Home from Hospital Service
The Making Connections Home from Hospital Service provides support and companionship to North East Hampshire adult residents after a stay in hospital.
The service offers:
- Meetings in hospital to plan your return home.
- Ongoing contact with you, including regular home visits.
- Assisting you with trips to the shops and medical appointments.
- Helping you choose other services that will support you to maintain your independence and wellbeing inside and outside the home.
This service is free of charge and offers support for up to 6 weeks for North East Hampshire residents being discharged from Frimley Park, Fleet and Farnham Community Hospitals.
Where clients would benefit from support for a while longer to help them connect with social and leisure activities to support their health and wellbeing, there is the option to move over to the main Making Connections “social prescription” project.
This service is currently a pilot running up to the end of May 2020, and is funded by the North East Hampshire and Farnham CCG and Hampshire County Council’s Adults’ Health and Care.
Information for individuals
About the Home from Hospital Service
The Making Connections Home from Hospital service is available to any adult registered with a North East Hampshire GP practice, who is being discharged from Frimley Park, Fleet or Farnham Hospitals, and would benefit from short-term assistance to settle back at home.
The service is likley to be recommended to you by someone who is assisting you with your safe discharge from hospital (nursing staff, occupational therapists or social workers). You can also refer yourself to the service.
If you are unsure how you would benefit from the service, do call us or ask someone you know to call us on 01252 815652 or e-mail: NEHFCCG.HomefromHospital@nhs.net
How does the Home from Hospital Service work?
After you have agreed to be referred to the Making Connections Home from Hospital service, a Home from Hospital Co-ordinator will make contact with you as soon as possible.
The service operating hours are 8.00-19.00, 7 days a week.
Where possible, a Home from Hospital Co-ordinator will meet with you (and friends or family if appropriate) before you leave hospital. Where the discharge from hospital has taken place without sufficient notice, a home visit will be arranged to take place ideally within 24-48 hours of discharge.
At the first meeting with the Home from Hospital Co-ordinator, you will have the opportunity to agree a support plan, listing the support you require. This support is available for up to 6 weeks, and can start before you leave hospital.
What type of support is available?
Before you leave hospital:
- Ensuring the heating/electricity/water supply is on in your home, and you have sufficient food for your return.
- Attending appointments whilst key-safes are being installed.
- Putting up temporary key-safes to be used on a short-term basis to facilitate access to the home.
After you leave hospital:
- Home visits to ensure you are comfortable, and preparation of lights snacks or drinks whilst you are recovering.
- Food shopping and/or accompanying you to buy food and other essentials.
- Assisting with trips to medical appointments.
- Contacts with friends and family to keep them informed of the support you have agreed will be put in place.
- Ensuring you continue to feel safe at home, by supporting you to access services such as telecare.
- Accessing information/support related to benefits and finance.
- Helping you find other organisations, which can assist with practical needs to maintain your independence at home.
- Connection to social and leisure activities run in the community, and transport solutions if needed.
- Onward referral to our Making Connections service if more support to access an activity is required.
Please note that the Home from Hospital service cannot provide any type of personal care, but can help you choose other paid-for services providing home help and personal care on a short-term or ongoing basis.
GP Surgeries covered by the Home from Hospital Service
Information for Professionals
The operating hours for the Making Connections Home from Hospital Service are 8.00-19.00, 7 days a week.
Referrals can be made by telephone 01252 815652 (Option 3) or by e-mail: NEHFCCG.HomefromHospital@nhs.net
A copy of the referral form, eligibility criteria and supporting information to be passed to the client can be downloaded here